Adding a conclusion in an essay is a global style. It adds a well-planned and well defined finishing line to the essay where the writer wraps up his narration. Apparently it sounds simple to write a conclusion but in reality writing a conclusion is an intricate task. While writing the conclusion for an academic essay of university level a writer has to remember some basic points and present the author’s perspective in a clear and amicable way. But why conclusion to an academic essay is that important?
What is a conclusion?
Before we start analyzing the best ways to add a conclusion to an essay, let’s check what a conclusion is and what purpose it serves. According to essayists, a conclusion shows how the writer has approached the points in the essay and how the topic has been wrapped in a unique step by step presentation. According to critics:
- Conclusion is like a literary wrapping of an essay,
- It is the final point of the essay where you have discussed all relevant facts,
- Conclusion should have a specific call for action for the readers.
- A meticulously written conclusion restates the main idea of an essay and thus works as the ultimate focal point for the readers due to inclusion of Call to action here.
Besides these objectives a conclusion is a specific approach and the other part of introduction that starts the essay. Conclusion is the final impression of an essay and its approach. Rom readers’ perspective this is the final slant of the essay hence it is widely significant for maintaining the tone of the literary piece.
How should be the structure of a well written conclusion?
If you are analyzing conclusion of an essay and concurrently you are after defining the best legitimate ways to learn the tricks of writing a conclusion, it is important to learn the most recommended structure of a conclusion written for an academic essay. Let’s check what you should include here:
- Conclusion is the miniature summary of the essay already written so it has to be pertinent and focused toward the central theme of the essay,
- Conclusion are never meant for presenting fresh ideas, rather, a conclusion should be written on previously discussed and written topics.
- The topic for each paragraph of the essay should have the extract in the conclusion,
- Wrapping up the central points is one of the requisites,
- The closing sentence should help the reader to feel the hang of closure,
- Validate the significance of your ideas,
- Boost the readers to a new vista of the subject: add a call to action,
- Induce a positive note into the conclusion,
- The concluding sentence should make readers satisfied for their involvement with the essay.
Ideal structure of a conclusion
Before knowing the clues of writing an apt conclusion, it is important to know the ideal structure of a conclusion. Some of the general rules will be:
- It is good to start with a lead-in, but phrases like “In conclusion, concluding, etc. should be avoided as maximum as possible.
- You should encapsulate the main points already discussed in the essay, but rephrasing them word-to-word may hamper the flow of content negatively.
- It is important to keep a conclusion short and simple, about 6 to 8 sentences will serve the best purpose.
- You should consider adding a synopsis of the thesis, but the conclusion should be done in a different approach with complete subjective tone of presentation.
- A good conclusion should be authoritative. It should be written in a specific tone leaning toward a generic view of the topic.
- Experts recommend writing the conclusion of an essay with a bang! It is good to add tweak, twist, or some irony at end so that the readability retains its objectivity.
Ideal approach of conclusion
A well written conclusion is the counterpart of an introduction. It should match the introduction in terms of presenting the central idea as well as in terms of relevant arguments. The conclusion is the summary of the focal points as presented in introduction and in the body of the essay. However, a conclusion is never about introducing a new idea or point in the essay.
Final consideration for writing a conclusion
One of the most vital functions of an ideal conclusion is to offer context for an argument. Readers may finish an essay without a problem and comprehend the argument without realizing why that argument is significant. An introduction might point out the reason behind importance of the topic, but the conclusion should be able to tackle this queries. Here are some strategies for helping readers with conclusion:
- A conclusion helps a reader to relate all topics discussed in the essay all together. It adds completeness to a discussion.
- A conclusion serves the purpose of proper coordination in an essay and its approach. It should be written in a way that helps in knotting loose ends, if any.
- A conclusion can be argumentative or a narrative one: this approach should match your essay writing style, so that the conclusion becomes the integral part of the essay.
Three things should never be used in conclusion: these are new info, plenty of details, and unnecessary personal information. More these three issues will be avoided in an essay related conclusion; it will bring better result for readability effect.
A realistic Call to action should be added to a conclusion which will be addressed toward the readers of the essay.
The language for a conclusion should be written in lucid and clear language so that the readers can understand the termination point of the discussion. It should not be very lengthy or too short.
There should be clarity of approach in a well written conclusion of an essay. Readers should be able to recapitulate all points discussed in the essay. A conclusion works as the final touch up of an essay that boosts its literary flavor.