What is a narrative essay?
Writing any type of essay requires many things, such as good skills in creating an interesting work, enough time for making a successful paper, and ability to concentrate on writing and get inspiration just when you need to sit and write. Nobody says it’s easy, but you definitely can do it with our tips! Go ahead and read our article that will help you how to write a narrative essay step by step to impress your readers.
Feel stuck with your writing and have got no idea how to write a great narrative essay? Let’s define what a narrative essay is. It is a story the writer tells to the audience. It is possible to write about life experience, relationship, some memories, etc. Such essays allow the writer to express themselves creatively. It’s understandable the main goal of writing this work is to describe something. Remember that narrating of some facts without purpose won’t make your essay look as a story, but just a pile of things. That’s why your paper should have a clear point, and you must clearly understand what’s the goal of creating this essay.
The format of narrative essay
Keep in your memory the narrative essay writing should be based on next principles:
- usually this work is written from the author’s standpoint;
- the essay should be written from the first person, so it’s totally OK to use “I” pronoun, but you need to be careful to not overuse it;
- if it is necessary, the essay may be written from the third person;
- the author should use concise and clear language to describe all things, events, or feelings precisely;
- the storyteller should be concentrated on the story, but it is also very important to describe small details to make readers feel the entire story, but not just read or listen it without any deep emotions;
- you should use vivid verbs to make your story “live” and to let readers just to jump into it and feel everything like they are going through all acting you describe;
- as any other story, this essay should have all conventions: these are plot with characters and setting, also a climax, and an ending of the story;
- the author should guide the reader without leaving them guessing about the purpose of the paper, so make sure that your future audience will follow your lead.
The structure of narrative essay
In this article, we have gathered useful tips and ideas about how to write a strong narrative essay, and now let’s talk about the paper’s structure. It is very important to organize your work properly, so it will be logical and interesting to read. Look at our structure scheme for your future essay:
• start with a hook to grab readers’ attention (you can use a question, quote, definition, or interesting fact);
• explain readers about the characters of your story, where it takes place, how it happened, etc.;
• put your thesis statement (the main idea of your work) in the end of the introduction.
2. Body part
• don’t just tell, but show your story to the readers; add details and describe even small details to impress the audience;
• try to prove your thesis statement with evidence;
• write chronologically, and explain to readers what happened at the beginning, next, and later;
• make sure all paragraphs of the main part of your story are connected between each other.
• finish your essay logically;
• explain what lesson you learned through the experience of your story and how it affected your life.
How to write a narrative essay outline
Writing a narrative essay outline means creating a detailed plan of your future paper. Some people may find this process only wastes your time, but it’s totally wrong. Making your work without any plan means keeping all ideas and details in your head, and going to who-knows-where in the end. You never know where you start, and where you appear in the end of the story. Of course, in some way it may look even exciting, but in general, you would get a big mess instead of a thrilling paper. That’s why the outline is a must have when you are going to write any type of essay, including narrative.
All points of the outline should reflect the main elements of your future essay to make the entire work logical and well-structured. Feel free to review the finished outline for several times and rearrange some things, delete or add something. It’s quite simple to write the paper according to the outline because you will always know what to write next, plus you will never lose or forget something important. You can include as many details as you need to describe various events that took place in your story.
If you have got a little experience in writing, and don’t know how to write a good narrative essay properly, keep reading our guide to get more useful ideas and tips.
How to write a narrative essay step-by-step
Writing an essay requires clear understanding of the entire process. If you still not sure how to create your paper, follow our simple four steps on how to write a narrative essay:
Pre-writing stage. This is a phase when you have to sit and think about choosing a good subject for your future paper. You may select a situation from your own experience that touched you emotionally. It’s better to write about something that has a significance for you, for example, achieving a very important goal in life, or helping someone in the trouble. Keep in your memory that your work will be more effective and interesting for readers if you connected emotionally to the subject.
When you have select a topic to write about, you need to spend some time with recollecting memories and details of that situation because such details as setting, people, season, year, and objects are very important to make a bright story. It’s good to write an outline for your future work to put all ideas and thoughts in right places.
- Drafting stage. Remember that you should follow the outline, but also don’t forget about these techniques:
- Write your work from the first person;
- Describe even small details to give your readers more clear understanding about the story, your feelings, emotions, etc.;
- Don’t just inform your audience about something happened, but get them involved into your story with vivid descriptions to illustrate things.
Tips for writing a narrative essay
After you have learned some steps to writing a narrative essay, we also suggest reading our effective tips that will be very helpful in creating a brilliant work!
- clearly describe all your important ideas;
- there is no need to describe your every step, so you can skip unimportant details. Be sure that your readers will understand you right;
- avoid the work written from the second person — you are describing your own experience, so try to write from the first person;
- build interesting sentences to get the audience involved more and more;
- try to include minimum quotes into your work because it’s disruptive for the narrative essay.
The best narrative essay topics
The first answer that comes to the question “How to write a perfect narrative essay?” is selecting a successful and interesting subject. Choosing a good topic for your future essay may be the hardest part for you, but this is also a very significant step that will define the quality of your future work. Remember that you need to select a topic that touches you emotionally, only in this case you will be able to write a good essay to impress your readers.
We suggest reading our 20 topics for a narrative essay that may be helpful for you in making a great work:
- The first date in my life
- How my parents influenced on me
- Why I always dream to have a great family in the future
- The lie that destroyed a great friendship and love
- My favorite subject at school
- The most frightening thing in my life
- Why I want to be a teacher
- The worst scandal with my relatives
- A book that touches me emotionally
- Why I want to become a famous person
- The best vacation I ever had in my life
- The worst situation ever happened to me
- A friend that put a huge impression on me
- My first memories from the childhood
- A time when I realized I am an adult person, not a kid
- A job of my dream
- Visit to place where I lived being a child
- Why I always care about my friends
- My life gave me a good lesson
- How I followed my desire
Examples of narrative essays
If you are questioning yourself “How to write a narrative essay?”, example is a great thing that will be helpful. You can easily find a lot of narrative examples on the Internet. Reading narrative essays examples will give you an understanding how to create your own paper. Try to read carefully and notice all techniques other authors use in their essays. Pay attention on what descriptions they put into their papers, and how they convey various emotions to readers. Maybe you will find a work related to your own experience, and it will inspire you for writing a similar paper. Don’t try to copy-paste because usually such things are notable. Maybe your first draft won’t be perfect, but if you will be patient and persevering, you will be able to turn this work into something really good. Reading examples is a great practice for developing your writing abilities because you will definitely learn new words, phrases, and find various techniques authors used to make their papers interesting and exciting. Never give up on your way, and try to improve every day, so you will be able to write great masterpieces to touch your audience emotionally and make people laugh or cry.
We hope that our tips for writing a narrative essay were useful, and you will make a successful and unique narrative essay that will involve a lot of readers.