What is a persuasive essay?
If you are reading this article, it means your problem now is how to write a great persuasive essay. It’s not always easy to create an interesting paper to meet all requirements, so you should be prepared to spend a lot of time and learn many things about writing. The result worth all your efforts, and you will be able to make a great paper using our tips for writing a persuasive essay.
The main purpose of this work is to persuade the audience to take a certain action or a point of view. A good writer must support all arguments with strong evidence such as quotes, facts from reliable sources, supportive examples. In other words, you should choose a topic and then pick a certain point of view about this subject, and persuade your readers to adopt this idea too. Needless to say you have to understand clearly the purpose of writing and see all possible methods how to convince the audience to agree with you. Some people say that making this type of work feels like arguing as a lawyer in a court. This essay requires good understanding of the topic, deep research, and explaining why the author’s opinion is correct and why another opinion is incorrect.
The format of persuasive essay
Any kind of academic work should be written in a certain format, and the persuasive paper is no exception. That’s why it’s quite important to read carefully all instructions and requirements provided by your teacher of professor, and follow those recommendations to create a successful work. Here are the most common rules how to write a perfect persuasive essay according to the general formatting:
- You have to start your work with a clear and understandable statement and explain the significance of the opinion you provide to your readers for adoption.
- You should review a lot of various information about the topic and make a deep research to make your paper look professional.
- You must use only reliable sources to support your argument because your main task is to convince the reader to take your opinion. Remember that no-one would agree with your point of view if you use not reliable data to prove your arguments.
- It’s important to keep your work well-organized, so the audience will understand it clearly and it will be easier for people to follow your opinion.
- You have not just to inform the reader about facts, but to convince and persuade them to act or think in a certain way you explain logically.
The structure of persuasive essay
Before you start writing your work, you have to structure it properly. A good essay should have several paragraphs connected between each other logically. Use this structure for your persuasive essay writing to create a well-organized paper that will be easy understandable by readers.
Introduction – the main goal of this paragraph is to state the claim and explain the reader what you are going to argue about in your paper. Use the following rules to build a strong first paragraph:
Body part – this is the main part of your work where you have to persuade your readers to adopt your idea. Use the next tips to make this part successful:
Conclusion – this is the last part of your essay, where you need to sum up everything and show the importance of your work. Here are some ideas how to make a great conclusion:
– present the subject of your work to the audience;
– make a hook to grab the reader’s attention;
– provide your audience with some background information about the topic;
– state the claim at the end of this part.
– divide this part into several connected paragraphs, including supporting evidence paragraphs and counterargument paragraphs where you will persuade your readers to adopt your opinion;
– use strong evidence to support your argument.
– restate your claim you brought in the introduction;
– show the significance of your claim;
– use concrete language, don’t leave your readers with a thought that your argument was unsure.
How to write a persuasive essay outline
As we already mentioned before, your paper should be well-structured, so readers will understand it much better and follow the flow easier. We provided you with some ideas about the structure, but writing a persuasive essay outline is also very important to make a successful paper. Some people think this is a wasting of time, and it’s much easier and faster to create a work without any outline. They are wrong because the quality of such paper will be quite low. For example, if you got lost in the forest, you would prefer to use a map to escape, or just run chaotically from one place to another without any logic? We bet you’d choose a map! So, the same is with an outline – you need it to build a logical and interesting work where you know exactly how you have to start and where you must come at the end.
Follow these simple rules if you are interested in how to write a persuasive essay outline easily and fast:
- Write a draft of your outline according to the paper’s structure;
- Feel free to rewrite the outline to improve it, until you feel it’s good enough to start writing your essay;
- Write down all important ideas, so you won’t forget or lose anything.
How to write a persuasive essay step-by-step
Writing any sort of paper is a difficult task, especially when you have not got a lot of experience. We want to share a clear plan how to write a persuasive essay step by step, that will be very helpful to authors with a small experience to create a great work.
- Choose a bright and interesting topic to write about. Select your position and clearly define your opinion in this thing.
- Define your future readers, think about their views, try to understand their perspectives and if it will be possible to convince them in chosen subject.
- Make a deep research on your topic. Try to find a lot of information in various sources. Think about different opinions about the subject and find as many as possible supportive evidence.
- Create a detailed outline for your future paper. You should make not more than 5 – 6 paragraphs that will be strongly connected between each other.
- Make a draft copy of your essay according to the outline. Remember that you have to state your position clearly at the very beginning and put it through the entire paper.
- Revise your essay, and rewrite some parts, if needed. Make sure you put enough supportive evidence to prove your argument.
- Put your essay out for at least several hours, and then re read it carefully and edit your work. It’s also possible to ask your friend or colleague to read the paper and tell their opinion about it.
If you are still not sure how to write a strong persuasive essay, keep reading our article and find more useful ideas.
Tips for writing a persuasive essay
Persuading people in something is not so easy, and sometimes you can feel stuck with writing because it’s difficult to prove your argument. There are some methods that can incline readers to believe you. Go ahead and read more tips on how to write a good persuasive essay:
- Use quotes from people to “press” on readers to consider your opinion on things. This is a social proof that can be very effective for a persuasive paper. People pay attention on what other people say, make it your advantage.
- Repeat the same information for several times. This is a simple but useful method to pay the reader’s attention on your words. Some psychologists use this trick in their practice, and this is also how the annoying advertisement works.
- Show to people how bad and awful the problem is. Describe it in details and make accent on miserable and bad things. Don’t tell about the possible ways of solving, just state the trouble. Your main task here is just to face the problem to people and involve them into horrible things, and after it you have to give them a solution connected to your point of view. People would accept it easily.
The best persuasive essay topics
Do you know that choosing a bright and interesting topics for a persuasive essay is a half of your success? If you have got difficulties in selecting a good subject, we are ready to provide you with our 20 fascinating topics:
- Should people use less water to save our planet?
- Is it correct to talk on phone while driving?
- Should schools use special psychological tests to check out students?
- Is it right to talk with teenagers about birth control in school?
- Should people curse on TV on daytime?
- Should fat people be forbidden to buy fast food?
- Is it correct to keep a tiger as a pet at home?
- Should all countries have free health care system?
- Is it really so important to wear seat belt during driving?
- Should students be forbidden to date in school?
- Should the government low the driving age to 14?
- Is it correct for children to watch violent movies?
- Should people be punished for bad thoughts about others?
- Should all fast food restaurants be closed?
- Is it correct to legalize the prostitution?
- Is it correct to forbid abortions?
- Should a driver be allowed to drive after one beer?
- Should we legalize gambling?
- Is it correct to have a strict dress code in schools?
- Is it right or wrong to get married until 18?
Examples of persuasive essays
If even after reading our detailed guide you’re still not sure how to write a persuasive essay, example may help you a lot. You can search and read tons of good essay samples on the Internet, and get fresh ideas for your own work. Remember that you shouldn’t steal other ideas, but you may figure out what methods the author used to convince readers. We also suggest reading our example of persuasive writing.
Nowadays, many children use social networks, including Facebook. Should their parents allow them to do it? I think it must be forbidden because there are many things on Facebook that shouldn’t be allowed to children to see or to read. We scream with disgusting and fear about this world is going crazy when young girls get pregnant in their 13 or some cruel teenagers violate younger kids, but we don’t understand that it’s our fault. Parents that doesn’t care about their children, allow them use Internet fully, so teenagers are not guilty they are allowed to read and see things about sex, violence and rape. Nobody else but our society is guilty in this problem, that’s why children under 16 shouldn’t be allowed to use Facebook.
We truly hope our steps to writing a persuasive essay were useful to you in making your paper, and you made an interesting and successful paper with our little help!