What is a descriptive essay?
We do know that writing any kind of essay could be a difficult work, that’s why in this guide we have gathered a lot of tips for writing a descriptive essay. Some people may think that this essay is kinda similar to a narrative essay, but the main difference that a narrative paper brings to readers a personal story while a descriptive paper must bring a subject to life for the audience.
The main goal of any descriptive essay is describing something. It could be a person, place, object, situation, emotion, or anything else. This genre of paper requires from a writer a good experience to be able to create a bright and vivid description in details, so the reader would imagine everything during reading. Descriptive writing is not an easy work at all, and you need a lot of practice to be able to paint a live and bright image with your words to impress your audience. Put your attention at your time: you will need enough time to create a successful work, and you should plan it beforehand. It’s definitely a very bad idea to try to create the essay at the last night before the deadline, so both time and your self-organization are very important to fulfill this assignment.
The format of descriptive essay
During writing, the main goal for you is to make a brilliant paper to grab your readers’ attention. But it’s not enough just to list all your ideas in the line, so you shouldn’t forget about the right format. Usually when teachers or professors require descriptive essay writing from students, they mention detailed requirements about the future essay format in instructions. You may be required to format the paper in the APA, or MLA, or a Chicago style. Each of these formats has clear requirements about font, spacing, heading, margins, page numbers, title, align, etc. If you are interested how to write a perfect descriptive essay using a specific format, you can easily find all the needed instructions online. There you will find all the needed rules for your paper presentation, quotes, reference page, and works cited, so you can create your paper in accordance with standards.
It’s quite important to follow all guidelines to format your work properly. If your professor didn’t provide you with clear recommendations about the paper format, don’t hesitate to ask him or her about it. APA style is mostly used for social sciences, and MLA format is used for humanities and liberal arts.
The structure of descriptive essay
Some people that are interested in how to write a great descriptive essay, often start to search for various guidelines and tips for making this paper, and then just jump into writing. Of course, this doesn’t mean they would create a bad essay, but it definitely will be out of structure.
Your essay should be well-structured because it will be more logical and understandable for the audience. Here an example of structure you can use:
- Introduction. Here you have to represent the object of description to your readers. Remember that during reading the audience has to get a sense they see the object themselves. Your goal here is to grab the people attention with a good quote or interesting phrase to make them read the entire work. If your introduction will be weak, nobody reads the paper.
- Body part. Here you start the main description of the object or situation you need to bring to the readers. You should use comparison and metaphors to make your paper bright and unique. For example, if you’re writing about favorite food, you must make the audience smell and taste this food during reading, otherwise your work isn’t good. It’s possible to divide this part to several logical paragraphs, strongly connected between each other.
- Conclusion. This is a final part of your essay where you need to summarize all emotions that were brought before, and finish your essay properly.
How to write a descriptive essay outline
Keep in your mind that when you’re writing a descriptive essay, outline is a very important thing you should do before you started to write your work. Some people can be lazy to do it, they may think this could only waste their time, so they jump into writing just without any plan.
Needless to say they won’t be able to make a good essay because they would never know where to start and how to end, and what to write in the middle. Writing without a clear plan in like trying to find something without a map. You may go around the object for several times, but never approach too close to see it. The same is with writing, it’s very important to know what you should put there to get a successful paper. Plus, without the outline you would spend even more time than if writing with a plan.
Here is our short advice about how to write a descriptive essay outline:
- Plan your future essay in accordance with its structure;
- You can include some details you don’t want to forget about during writing;
- Write your essay using your plan, and you never get lost.
How to write a descriptive essay step-by-step
If you still not sure that you can start writing your essay after everything you already read, and you need more instructions about creating your paper, we are ready to give you 5 simple steps on how to write a descriptive essay. Remember that one of the successful keys to make a great work is to engage the audience into your paper using five senses (sound, smell, taste, touch and sight). Go ahead and get the idea how to write a descriptive essay step by step:
- Select a good topic to tell your readers about something interesting. Remember that you have to paint a bright image of the object in their imagination.
- Make your thesis statement. This is the main idea of your work that should be written in the first paragraph (introduction). All sentences of your work should be connected with this idea.
- Sort out your thoughts about senses. Create 5 columns with senses and write down how you can describe the object using all these senses. Here you need to use a lot of metaphors, personification, and other literary tools to create a bright description.
- Make an outline for your future paper. Include all important details into this plan, so it will be easier to write the essay.
- Write your paper in accordance with the plan.
- Take a short break after writing and review your work. Ask yourself would this paper seem interesting to you if you read it somewhere? Should you rewrite some paragraphs to make it better and clearer?
- Check the finished work thoroughly and correct all grammar and punctuation mistakes to make your essay look professional.
Tips for writing a descriptive essay
Do you need more tips on how to write a good descriptive essay? We are ready to share some simple but effective techniques that will help you to create a successful and interesting work without wasting your time! Here are some tips to pay attention at:
- Brainstorm your ideas. Don’t jump into writing right away, but think about ideas what and how you are going to describe. The most ideas you get, the most exciting work you will write!
- Use clear language. Choose words carefully, and try to write simple and clear.
- Use vivid language for description to help your readers create a bright image in their minds.
- Don’t forget about 5 senses! Describe how this or that object feels, smells, tastes, sounds, and looks.
- Bring emotions in the essay. Describe even small emotions to make the audience feel it. This would bring your readers on a deeper level of understanding your paper.
- Impress your readers! If you are describing a food, make them drilling. If you are describing a weather, make them dream about hot summer full of energy or snowy winter in the village with beautiful views.
- Keep your paper well-organized. It’s very easy to fall into describing details, senses and emotions, but don’t forget about your paper’s structure. Keep your outline around to guide you through your thoughts and ideas.
The best descriptive essay topics
When you are going to write a brilliant essay, it’s very important to select an interesting subject to involve people into reading. You should choose a topic that is exciting to you because it’s impossible to write good about something you don’t interested in.
For our readers, we have gathered 20 unusual topics for a descriptive essay:
- The most exciting place in this world for you
- Your first visit to the dentist
- Meeting with a great friend you’ve lost several years ago
- The most difficult exam
- How to break up with your partner
- Describe your favorite food you’d like to eat every day
- Describe a celebrity you want to meet
- Describe your favorite toy you played in childhood
- Describe your fantasy about living in a house of future
- Describe the most favorite place in your town
- Describe your favorite weather
- A story that happened unexpectedly
- My sad memories
- A great concert you visited
- Describe a great party
- Describe your last birthday celebration
- Things that bring happiness into your life
- Describe your best friends
- . Describe your favorite painting
- Describe the room of your dream
Examples of descriptive essays
If you feel stuck with a thought “how to write a descriptive essay”, example can be very helpful. You can find tons of good examples of descriptive papers on the Internet to read and get some fresh ideas about writing your own work. Try to notice techniques authors used in their papers, and look how they built their descriptions to involve the audience attention. Below, you can read an example of descriptive essay.
The first visit to emergency I remember, was in my five. Smell of the hospital, white walls, and a lot of doctors brought a horrid feeling of fear and anxiety. Even pain in the hand didn’t disturb me because that deep feeling of suspense and fear were filling my stomach. A female doctor came over to inspect my hand, and in that moment I understood pain doesn’t bring me so many emotions as obscurity does. My hand was just broken, but I was a child and I had no idea what they were going to do with me. The only thought about injections made me all sweat and shudder. I couldn’t think about nothing but that awful pain when an awful needle would go through my skin, making me cry and think I will probably die soon. But the doctor didn’t take a syringe, she kindly said to me we need to make an x-ray, and it won’t hurt me at all. I didn’t believe then, I just stared at her white robe and in that moment I was full of a nasty feeling she just lied to me as many adult people already did.
We hope this article was interesting for you to read, and you will be able to use all our simple ideas, examples, and steps to writing a perfect descriptive essay.